Has spring sprung where you are? It’s not quite here yet where I am, but I think it’s slowly getting here. I think. But really, who knows?! I thought I’d brighten everyone’s day by sharing this very easy recipe for this healthy Gluten-Free Lemon Curd Tart (it’s also dairy-free and no refined cane sugar!), because what says “Spring” better than a beautiful lemon tart?
Gluten-Free Lemon Curd Tart
This beautiful tart requires a very minimal amount of work. No crust to roll and no messy curd to cook in a pot. If you have a high powered blender that heats, you can even cook the curd directly in it in 6 minutes. Remember my post about this delicious Dairy-Free Lemon Curd, including my first video? This is the same recipe we’ll be using today.
Many gluten-free baked goods are filled with ingredients that are not good for our health, so it’s better to make our own and use whole food ingredients that are simply naturally free of gluten, like in this recipe, and actually provide nutrition to our body. Even if you eat gluten, why not add variety and try something new? Balance and variety are so tasty!
Today we’re using some simple ingredients that are naturally gluten-free to make a delicious crust similar to a Pâte brisée, flaky and sweet, but no need to roll anything out. Simply mix and press directly into your pan (make sure you use a pan with a removable bottom). Because it’s pre-cooked, all you have to do is pour the pre-cooked lemon curd into it, and voilà! You can have this beauty ready in about half an hour.
If your blender is not able to heat, then you can still make it, and cook it in the oven, which is actually the way I’ve made it here. Both ways are delicious!
Gluten-Free Lemon Curd Tart | Dairy-Free | Cane Sugar-Free
makes 1 tart (approx. 13″ x 4.25″ or 10″ round)
*Because we use the zest in this recipe, make sure to use organic lemon only, in order to reduce your exposure to chemicals and pesticides.
Gluten-Free Sweet Crust
- 1 cup millet flour or brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup light buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds (approx. 1/2 cup whole raw almonds ground in a coffee grinder or food processor)
- 1/4 cup organic corn starch or tapioca starch
- 2 Tbsp amber maple syrup
- 3/4 cup organic vegan buttery spread (like Earth Balance), cut in small pieces
- 1 free-range organic egg, lightly whisked
Dairy-Free Lemon Curd
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (soaked for 20-30 minutes)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (2 lemons, juiced)
- Zest from 1/2 organic lemon, washed
- 3 free-range organic eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup amber maple syrup
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- Fresh organic berries
- chopped pistachios
- a sprinkle of icing sugar
- To make the crust: In a medium mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients for the crust. Add the pieces of vegan buttery spread, the egg, and the maple syrup. Mix with a fork as much as you can until the mixture is wet and somewhat sticking together. The texture will be very crumbly, no worries.
- Use your fingers to push and flatten the crust into your mould.
- If you use the cooked curd, bake at 375F for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden. If you are using the raw curd, bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
- To make the lemon curd: In a powerful blender, simply blend all the ingredients for 2 minutes, until it’s creamy and smooth. If your blender heats, blend it for 6 minutes.
- Once the crust is cooked, pour the curd equally to fill. If you’re using the raw curd, bake at 350F for another 20 minutes, then let cool down and keep in the fridge until ready.
- If you’re using the cooked curd, simply chill in the fridge for 45-60 minutes before serving.
- Add fresh organic berries on top if you wish before serving.